Professor David Watts
Commissioner for Privacy and Data Protection
Office of the Commissioner for Privacy and Data Protection
11:20 AM PANEL DISCUSSION: Finding the Right Balance Between Security and Streamlined Digital Identity Platforms
Improving digital identity management requires the streamlining of technology platforms to reduce customer data duplication and improve fraud detection. However, the greatest threat to identity fraud is an internal threat, and so the segregation of duties is usually implemented in order to prevent people from accessing other’s identity. This panel will discuss finding the right balance between the two needs:
- Creating a cross company strategy on identity to ensure a company-wide model of compliance
- The value of segregating duties to prevent employees from internally accessing digital identities
- The future of industry practice: being proactive about streamlined platforms to prevent fraud
The Commonwealth Bank of Australia (CBA) has signed a landmark deal with online jobs marketplace Airtasker, for a pilot program that allows customers of the country’s largest bank to prove their identity on the online jobs market to help establish a more reliable reputation. Also, Australia post announced that it will work with the Digital Transformation Agency to integrate its own identity technology into the Commonwealth’s Digital Identity Framework. This panel discussion will focus on the collaboration across industries, and the public/private sector for the development of Digital Identity in Australia.
- The role of Government in establishing Digital ID and its limits/boundaries
- How can security-protocols be leant to smaller businesses in order to provide them with legitimacy online
- How can public/private partnerships contribute to successful the development of digital identity *innovation and security?
- What kinds of anchoring identities should be chosen by the public and private sectors